→ 07 Mar 12 at 6 pm
I’m a pisces but I’d rather be a killer whale.
First day of classes at CCSF, waiting below the dusty condom display for drop in meetings with a counselor.
First day back at school after a one year hiatus! Many people don’t think that you learn anything on the first day of classes, but I learned quite a bit. Let me list my life lessons in the order they were received.
1) Staying up until 3am and getting drunk the night before morning classes is not wise, even if you drank wine instead of hard liquor. It is, however, more fun than sleeping.
2) It is, in fact, possible for a man with no legs and one arm to rob someone, a tidbit I overheard from a girl talking loudly on her cell phone.
3) There are parents in this world who will name their child Tom Arrow, as learned during roll call in my first class.
4) Forget flat ironing my hair before school, the perpetual fog at the CCSF Ocean Campus gives no fuck and will only result in frizz.
5) There are counselors secretly tucked away in a basement who will actually take the time to help you, despite the 10 minute drop-in appointment restrictions. Favorite lesson by far.
I have to say, I’m surprised by how much I enjoyed my first day back in the community college shuffle. More than halfway to an AA and I think the change of scenery is just what I needed get back on track.